I purchased a keyboard for my daughter at our local Toys R Us store during the recent Christmas holiday. The keyboard worked for about two months before it started having problems. The keyboard would stop during active play and some of the keys began to get stuck. Needless to say my daughter was not happy. So off to Toys R Us I went.
Before going to the store I wiped the keyboard clean and found my receipt. Of course by now, 4 months later, I did not have the box it came in or the user manual, but I decided to take a chance and see if the store would take it back. Also, looking at the receipt I noticed that I was over the normal 90 days allotted return timeframe. But I did not panic because I have never had a problem with Toys R Us’ return policy in the past.
Once I was inside the store I went to the service desk counter, reread the Toys R Us return policy hanging on the wall behind the customer service desk and calmly explained the situation. I handed the clerk my receipt and she informed me that the return was past the 90 days. I let the clerk know I was fully aware of the Toys R Us return policy but the keyboard has stopped working. She immediately called the store manager on duty to assess the situation and to see if my return could be completed.
The manager came over listened to my side of the return dilemma, tested the keyboard for defect, and gave the okay for the clerk to proceed with the return. When I made the original purchase I paid cash, but I did not want the cash, because after all this was a present for my daughter. I let the clerk know that I would like a store gift card if possible so I could bring my daughter back to pick out something else. The clerk said, “I don’t see anything wrong with that”, and my return was quickly processed and I was on my way.
I appreciated the fact that the Toys R Us return policy is printed on the back of their receipts. This makes it easier to know exactly what can be done and how long you have to do it. And even though the Toys R US return policy stated one thing, the Toys R Us store made sure I left the store satisfied.
So I must offer the following steps when doing a return at Toys R Us:
1. Always put your receipts in a safe place. This way you can get cash back if you paid cash; otherwise be prepared to receive a Toys R Us gift card
2. If possible, clean the item before taking it to the store
3. Speak calmly to the clerks and management staff so they can understand why you need to do a return
4. If you do not have the receipt, understand before going to the store, that you will receive a store gift card (after all they want you to keep coming back)
5. If you are purchasing items as a gift for someone always ask for a gift receipt so the recipient can return or exchange the items quickly and efficiently
If you follow these guidelines and understand the Toys R Us return policy you should have a hassle free return every time.