Here is my top ten list of New Mommy Must Haves. These gifts will be used a lot by any new mom. If you are in the market to buy baby gifts for a boy or a girl for yourself or someone you know, check this list for ideas that will surely be appreciated by any new mommy!
10. A bottle brush with a bottle and nipple cleaner is a must. Munchkin makes a nice brush that has a sponge tip and durable nylon bristles with a nipple brush that stores inside the handle. Even the cheap ones you can get at the dollar discount store that have the bottle brush on one end and the nipple brush on the other end are just as good.
9. You can never have enough diapers and bottles. When you are buying diapers as a shower gift, keep in mind that many people will buy a pack of diapers to go along with their gifts to the new mommy. Typically people buy newborn and size 1 diapers. If you go to a large baby shower and everyone buys newborn diapers, odds are mommy won’t use all of them. Granted you will go through a lot of diapers but babies grow fast and they don’t stay in newborn diapers very long. My first baby only stayed in newborns for a week. It’s a crapshoot really but it is nice to get different sizes of diapers.
Playtex and Evenflo bottles are the best in my opinion. It seems like you can never have enough bottles and don’t forget to pick up some extra bottle nipples. Once the teeth start coming in you will go through them more often. I used the Playtex Drop-Ins system when my girls were infants. Clean up was a breeze. When they were around 6-9 months I switched them to Evenflo’s 8 oz. bottles with silicone nipples. They are sturdier and can take a beating better than other brands I have used. The silicone nipples don’t cave in and get holes in them from baby’s sharp teeth as easily as the flimsier nipples. Now you can buy glass bottles that are safer for your baby.
8. Receiving blankets and onesies are items that seem like you can never have enough of either. I was surprised at how often I changed the baby’s clothes and blankets. The more you have the less laundry you have to do and the more time you have to nap when baby let’s you.
7. The First Years Deluxe Healthcare & Grooming Kit is a definite. You will get all the basic items you need such as thermometer, medicine spoon, nasal aspirator, nail clippers, toothbrushes and more in a convenient zip up case.
6. Guardmaster II Wire Mesh Gate is a great buy. This will get A LOT of use. It is extremely sturdy and easy to use. I enjoy this product because every doorway in our house is a different size and it is so easy to adjust to fit.
5. The BearView Infant Mirror made by See Me Smile is the best car mirror you could buy. I had tried a couple of other mirrors that were a waist. I was so happy when I received the BearView as a gift from a friend. The BearView Infant Mirrors have a large mirror that is easy to position for you to see your infant in the back seat. I’ve put this on the back of my drivers seat and my 3 year old still loves it to this day.
4. Safety 1st 49 MGZ Safe Glow Light Monitor With Dual Receivers is a great buy. These can run on household electricity or batteries. It is so nice to have two receivers so you can have them in different parts of the house. I really like these in the summer time when you are grilling and going in and out of the house. You can keep one outside and one inside or have one stationed somewhere and one with you at all times. It’s fabulous and very reasonably priced!
3. A digital camera is definitely one of the best gifts you could give a new mom. Pretty much any kind of digital camera would be appreciated and it doesn’t need all the bells and whistles on it. My preferred brands are Kodak and HP. I really enjoy the Kodak EasyShare and Printer Dock Bundle that I purchased a couple of years ago.
2. Graco’s Quattro Tour Deluxe Travel System includes deluxe stroller, infant car seat and stay-in car base. The stay-in car base makes it a snap to get baby and car seat in and out of the car. The stroller is very sturdy and has storage space, cup holders and a lower storage basket. It is very easy to maneuver. This travel system is excellent for walks, shopping, outings, and vacations.
1. Graco’s Pack N’ Play Playards includes a full size bassinet, changing table and playpen. It has an easy push button folding system, which makes it a cinch to move it from room to room. It comes with a travel bag and detachable toys. I had mine set up next to my bed as a bassinet when my girls were infants. When they got older I used it in the living room as a playpen and took it outside in the summer time. The changing table will get daily use and easily wipes clean.