The XMB (short for XrossMediaBar) is the Playstation 3’s operating system. With firmware 2.00, Playstation 3 gamers can customize their own themes for the XMB. While you can download the official themes straight from the Playstation Store to your Playstation 3, unofficial ones require a little bit more effort. Hopefully with this tutorial, you can customize you XMB theme in no time.
Step One: Acquiring Themes
You have two ways to obtain a XMB theme for the Playstation 3: either create one or find one.
Option One: Making Your Own
To create your own XMB theme, download the theme creation pack in the following link:
The process is pretty complicated as you will need some knowledge in scripting a XML file.
Option Two: Finding One
The easiest way to acquire a theme is by finding one on the net. A good website for XMB themes is Playstation Universe. They have hundreds of free themes available for download. Check them out in the following link:
Step Two: Transferring to the Playstation 3
Once you find and downloaded all the themes onto your computer, it’s time to transfer them onto your Playstation 3. To do so, you will need a storage device. All Playstation 3 have USB ports and can read burnable DVD and CD discs. In addition, 60GB and 80GB Playstation 3 have memory card readers for compact flash, mini-SD/SD and Memory Stick Pro Duo cards.
1. After selecting your storage device, create a new folder in the root directory and name it “PS3.”
2. Inside the newly created “PS3” folder, create another folder and name it “THEME.” The “THEME” folder is where you will be putting are your themes in. If done correctly, the location should be like this:
(X= the drive of your storage medium, it could be any letter)
3. After adding the themes to the folder, disconnect the storage device from your PC and connect it to your Playstation 3.
Step Three: Installing the Theme on the Playstation 3
1. Boot your Playstation 3 up to the XMB screen. If your Playstation 3 boots a game instead, quit the game and should arrive at your desired location.
2. On the XMB, go to the “Settings” section (it’s the second section from left to right). From there, scroll down to “Theme Settings” and push the X button on the Sixaxis controller to open it.
3. This will bring up four options. For now, select “Theme” and push X.
4. On the very top of the pop-up menu you should see the “Install” option. Select it and push X.
5. The Playstation 3 will automatically locate your storage device and themes. Simply push X a couple of times and your themes will be installed on your Playstation 3.
Step Four: Changing Themes
Go back to the “Theme” option and you should see your newly installed theme. Select it and push X. Then select the “Apply” option to make that theme your current theme.
Congratulations, you’re done. Enjoy your new customized XMB theme for your Playstation 3.